New Health and Safety Legislation to take effect in late 2015
This is the 10th update on the new health and safety legislation looking to be passed in mid 2015. All updates have been posted in our News page. These are worth reading to gain a basic understanding of what the reforma may mean for your business.
WorkSafe New Zealand is currently developing guidance to help people understand and meet their obligations under new Health and Safety law. Right now the Health and Safety Reform Bill is working its way through Parliament.
We are working closely with key industry stakeholders from a number of sectors to make sure that all new guidance is clear, accurate and simple to use.
What guidance will be available?
Guidance on the new law (which will be known as the Health and Safety at Work Act) will include:
- A comprehensive Guide to the Act, covering what everyone needs to know about general workplace health and safety
- Factsheets on key topics including:
- What is a PCBU and what are its duties?
- Who is an officer and what are their duties?
- What are the notification requirements for workplace incidents?
- What does “reasonably practicable” mean?
- An Approved Code of Practice (ACOP), outlining the Worker Engagement, Representation and Participation requirements in the Act.
- An ACOP giving practical information for the Management and Removal of Asbestos.
- A Good Practice Guide (GPG), explaining how workplace risks can be managed, and the requirements under the Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations.
- Guidance on major hazard facilities and the changes to the hazardous substances regime.
Factsheets to support the ACOPs and GPGs.
When will the guidance be available?
We expect the new law to pass in mid-2015, and we’ll start publishing guidance soon after that. The legislation will come into effect later on in the year, to give people time to become familiar with the changes.
You can sign up to find out more about what guidance is coming by visiting the worksafe.govt.nz.
What can you do in the meantime before this guidance is available?
There’s already an extensive range of guidance on the WorkSafe website that can help you right now with many different industries and topics.
Some recently released guidance that may be useful is listed below.